Get More Killer Tips
Subscribe To Our Mailing List And Get Interesting Stuff And Updates To Your Email Inbox
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.
If you want your business to succeed, you need to try different marketing strategies that works for your business. You need to find a strategy that helps you grow your business while also helping you create and maintain a relationship with your customer. One such type of marketing is Email marketing.
In this blog, we will learn about email marketing for beginners. Also, we will explore a step-by-step guide for creating an exemplary email marketing campaign for beginners
Email marketing for beginners: the tools you need
Before we begin with the steps of creating an email newsletter, you need to know about what tools you can use to create one. The internet has numerous tools with different uses and features that can help you create an email newsletter easily.
Like Canva is an online graphic designing tool that has thousands of newsletter templates that will make it easy for you to start your campaign. You can also make the template from scratch or customize the existence once. You can also edit or create your images using this tool for your newsletter.
Other tools can help you determine whether your audience is opening your email or not, and how many of them are clicking on the link within the email. These digital analytics tools are also quite important to you. Here is a list of some tools that can help you with your campaign, they all have different features:
- AWeber and so on.
Let’s continue with the steps:
Know your goals
The first thing you need is to understand what your goals are with an email newsletter. Don’t rush into creating one without knowing what you expect from this marketing strategy. To ensure that the campaign is successful, you need to know what you want it to accomplish. According to your goals, the tone, images, design, and content of the email newsletter will be set. Thus, recognize:
- If you want to increase your traffic because that means the email needs to have links to your content.
- If you would like to drive more sales, make sure the email newsletter promotes your new product and informs people about the same.
- For every scenario, there is a different way to create your newsletter and you need to find out what your goals are to make the perfect marketing campaign.
Create an email list and segment them
It is now time to start creating an email list so that you can target your audience. Since your product doesn’t cater to everyone, you have to make your list regarding your customers in mind.
Tips to make a list from existing emails ids that you have:
If you run an e-commerce site, you may be able to derive some emails from an old and new customers.
If you use a good CRM software, it will integrate with your email marketing service, and you will have access to all the emails that you have in your system.
Email marketing for beginners: tips for creating an email list from scratch:
If you find that your email list is still empty or short of few more email ids, you can always make it from scratch by-
- Offering discounts or freebies for subscribing to the mailing list or on their next purchase if they subscribe to your product.
- Offering the users fresh, relevant and high-quality content so that they automatically subscribe to you to read more fresh content.
- Offering them an easy way to subscribe. Make sure there is a CTA button on the landing page that helps them to subscribe to your brand with ease.
Now that you know some ways to make a mailing list, it is time to segment them. It is important because it lets you send emails to people who will find it relevant, and it will have a high chance of getting opened. Here are some factors for segmenting your audience:
- Firmographics: criteria regarding a company’s characteristics like revenue or headquarters or so on.
- Amount spent
- Past purchase and so on.
Time to create the campaign
Now, it is time to use an email newsletter building platform, select a template or start creating a template from scratch.
Here are the things you need to keep in mind while creating your email newsletter:
If you can, use a personal name to send the email newsletter instead of the brand’s name. When you personalize the email, people respond to it better.
The subject line of an email newsletter is one of the most important aspects. If it is not right, catchy, or relevant to the audience, they won’t open your mail. Here are some tips that will help you create a perfect subject line:
- Ask a question: If you ask a question in your subject line, people will get curious to know the answer. And for that, they will have to open your email.
- Make it sound urgent: When you create a sense of urgency in your email, it piques the interest of the audience, and they are certainly going to open the email. To do that, you can write a line offering them a limited period offer or so on.
- Personalize the subject line: It is important to use a friendly tone sometimes and use the name of the customer to build a more close relationship. To do that, you can use an emoji as everyone loves emoji, and studies show that it can increase the email’s opening rate as well.
Now that the audience has opened the email, you have to ensure that they read the whole mail to open one of the links. For that, you need to focus on the body of the email and use both textual and visual content to pique their interest.
- Make sure your email is short and simple. Don’t use too much jargon; keep the tone casual but urgent.
- If you want your audience to take action, make sure you write in a tone that piques their interest.
- Use images that go with your content. Never forget to use your logo. If it is a human interest email, use a headshot, or if it is about a product, use a banner. Make sure the image is of high quality.
Now that you have written your email, don’t think your work is over. You need to include call-to-action at the end of your email’s body to ensure that people take action. CTAs depend on what you expect your audience to do. But here are some tips:
- Use a single CTA so that people don’t get confused about what to do. You can use the same CTA in multiple places in the email though.
- The CTA needs to be somewhere that makes it easy for people to see it. The Header or footer of the email is a great option.
- If you want to use multiple CTAs, make sure that they all have the same goal. For instance, if you run a blog and a YouTube channel for your cosmetic brand, you can include multiple CTAs, as long as their end goal is the same.
Add links to social media
- At the end of the newsletter, you need to include your contact information. The physical address and one phone number is mandatory.
- Also, include social buttons that links back to your social media account like Instagram or LinkedIn.
- Lastly, add a link to unsubscribe from your newsletter.
Designing the email newsletter
You need to focus on the design of your newsletter too. Make sure:
- That you pick the right layout which goes with your business.
- The dimension of the email newsletter should be right
- Don’t use more than two fonts-one for heading, and another for text. Make sure that the font is readable and clear.
- Make sure that the pictures are of high quality so that if a person opens the mail on mobile or a desktop, it doesn’t pixelate.
- Make the newsletter mobile-friendly, as most people use mobiles to open their emails.
Email marketing for beginners: conclusion
These are the steps you need to follow before clicking the send button. Don’t forget to research your customer and curate the newsletter according to their preference.
Did you find this email marketing for beginners guide helpful?
Do you have any other tips to add?
Let us know in the comments below. 🙂